Tuesday, November 07, 2006

VOTE VOTE VOTE

Well I really hope everyone voted! I was at the polls at 6am sharp to cast my vote! Here is a copy of a myspace bulletin I sent out this morning around 7:

Don't forget it's election day which means everyone should be hitting the polls! It doesn't matter which way you vote, only that you do. I know a lot of people will say "I don't have time to vote", or "I don't feel like going to vote". Instead, I ask you to think of it this way: Would you ever say "I don't have time to be an American today" or "I don't feel like appreciating everyone who has died to protect my rights"? If you're abstaining for a legitimate reason, than ignore this post, but please don't let laziness or lack of interest keep you from taking 30 minutes out of your day once a year to do your duty as a citizen of the best country in the world. I know that last part was biased, but so am I. But seriously, GO VOTE!!

“Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.”-- John Quincy Adams

The fun thing is that one of my friends copied my bulletin and reposted it so all his friends would read it too! So hopefully everyone got out there. If I got my butt out of bed at 5:45 after staying up late to study and then went to class all day then everyone else should have too. We all know I love my sleep! So SHAME on anyone who was just lazy and had no good reason not to go.

On a lighter note:
I thought I'd share a fun election related tidbit. Ever wonder how the political parties got their symbols? Well thanks to Wikipedia now you will know!

"The mascot symbol, historically, is the elephant. A political cartoon by Thomas Nast, published in Harper's Weekly on 7 November 1874, is considered the first important use of the symbol. (1874 Nast cartoon depicted GOP as an elephant demolishing the flimsy planks of the Democrats)" *cartoon is on Wikipedia if anyone is interested in seeing it.

"The jackass was born in the intense mudslinging that occurred during the presidential race of 1828 as a play on the name of Andrew Jackson, the Democratic candidate. Jackson had been called "Andrew Jackass," and the defiant Jackson adopted the nickname."

He really was a jackass, he's by far my least favorite President, mostly because of the Trail of Tears. But that's another blog.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Nice bulletin to send out! I wish I had had something to pass on to all my friends--but then, I'm pretty sure they all vote. =) Way to go getting up at 5:45. I was up then too, but not for nearly as fun a reason...

Rach said...

Allie, give me your email address so I can send you my addy! =)